Friday 27 January 2017

New Hobbies - Sketching, drawing and comics.

I've been away from the blog for ages and, to be perfectly honest, I've been from most of the usual stuff I do: writing has been hard (to be honest I'm stuck at 21891 words and 37 pages on yet another attempted novel and stalled, can't seem to find a game that catches my attention, etc...), so I tried to find something which catches my interest and gets me going.

Now, let me be honest, I'm the kind of person who picks up hobbies, obsesses over them for a few months and then drops them, so nowadays I try to be careful about the upfront investment needed.

This time I picked up drawing, which is nice for the budget: most of the stuff I have laying around. All around all I bought was a set of Staedtler Lumographs ranging from 6B to 4H, some Sakura microns and Sakura Koi coloring pens on sale.

So, while I probably won't be sharing the sketches - I am REALLY bad at this and all I care is getting to the point where I can draw some passably nice comicbook faces - I'll leave the impressions on the stuff I got and whatever insight I get as I fumble around with this.

So, I'll start with the list of the stuff I'm using:
-Staedtler 788 clutch pencil (it was my dad's and I used it all through college;
-Bic HB 2mm leads;
-Parker 45 flighter 0.9mm mechanical pencil;
-Pentel HB 0.9mm leads;
-old and cracked Maped 2 hole pencil sharpener;
-Staedtler Noris pencils (H, HB, B);
-Sakura Microns Sepia (01, 05, 1, Brush pen);
-Sakura Koi pack of flesh tones;
-Staedtler Lumographs set of 12;
-Platinum #3776 M nib fountain pen - it works and I love it for some stuff;
-Mitsubishi E-Knock pencil rubber;
-a cheap something or other vinyl rubber I had on my desk;

Right now I'm looking around for all sorts of tutorials on the web, and I've caught some interesting things. And just the continuous practice gets improvements, that much is true.

I read somewhere on the web (www.mangatutorials.com - no afilliation whatsoever) that copying work is a good way to improve. So far I'd say it has worked at least to give me ideas on how to draw some stuff. Mostly I've been looking over my comic book favorite artists: Michael Turner, Jim Lee, Joe Madureira, Adam warren, among others.
I also keep looking for any pencil sketches I can find on the web, blatantly stealing what I can.

The result?

Better now, but still awful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. CCP hf. has granted permission to Into the Impossible to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, Into the Impossible. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.